Roundabouts are the safer, less congested, more attractive alternative to an intersection. In an intersection there are 32 places traffic can collide, or cross. In a roundabout there are only 8. The continuous flow reduces congestion, and slows the vehicles down. There are fewer stops, shorter delays, and a higher capacity of cars can travel at the same time.
Here are 5 tips to follow when using a roundabout.
1. Yield to vehicles already in the circle, and watch for cyclists, and pedestrians;
2. Enter the roundabout only when there is a safe gap in traffic;
3. Don’t pass other vehicles when in the roundabout;
4. Don’t stop in the roundabout, unless it is to avoid a collision;
5. Always signal your intentions.
There are many benefits to roundabouts compared to intersections. As they become more common, you will probably see more on a day to day basis. Know how to use it properly, and safely to avoid congested traffic collisions.
Cantini Law Group has over 30 years of experience advocating for clients who have suffered injuries following a motor vehicle accident. With 5 locations serving NS, NB, and PEI, contact Cantini Law for a free consultation at 1-844-CANTINI (226-8464).